6/25/2016

SMS Library for a voting application


I implemented a simple voting application using SMSLib. I used the following technologies: 
  • SMSLib: a universal API for SMS messaging
  • JAVA Swing: the main programming language
  • MongoDB: for ORM
  • gson:  to convert Java objects into JSON and back
  • GSM modem: to receive vote messages
When I was using the SMSLib API, it became a bit complicated when configuring my personal computer. There are lot of resources on how to setup the SMSLib . In my opinion, following are the best resources to configure your computer without any problem.

gsm modem tutoial by samyan
how to send and receive sms using sms lib api
How to use SMSLIB in 64 bit windows 7 ultimate and other 64 bit platforms

You can use any GSM modem, in my case I used a Huawei GSM modem. Please note that most of the SMSLib integration problems comes when we connect the modem with the SMSLib. After successful configuration,  you can use the SMSLib with sending and receiving messages.

The voting application I implemented has the following features:
  • A person can vote for only one candidate.
  • Can run only one voting event at a time.
  • Can add groups or individual participants for an event.
  • Participant's details are sorted according to the vote count.
  • Can add participants even for an on going event.
  • Can view previous events' history details.
  • Can re run previous events as well.
The technologies that I used is so easy to understand and can complete the task within a short time period. The application is developed using MVC design pattern in order to do any future enhancements. If you are going to use SMSLib for voting or any similar scenario, the business model will not be the same as mine, But I would like to share my code with you to help you achieve your target and learn SMSLib API.

Here is my GitHub location of SMSLib voting application

Feel free to download and use it. Please add a star if it was any help to you ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment